Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Foot-follower writes...

Never did I think I would follow a football match, let alone being a fan of the sport. But the current FIFA 2010 has sure invoked the interests of innumerable football-illiterates. Whether it's the ubiquitous Waka-Waka ringtones or the constant voices of 'which-team-do-you-support?' that inspired me to follow this game, I don't know; But the game has captivated me to an extent that I monkey-jump each time there's a goal, contort my face in all possible forms (worse than even Maradona) when the ball shifts to the opposite side, and indulge in nail-biting during the edge-of-the-seat moments.

The round of 16 and the quarterfinals saw some shocking exits. England, under Wayne Rooney, couldn't make it to out of the first 16. The France team, after an embarrassing spat between the coach and themselves, walked back home. Brazil and Argentina, the two undisputed South American favourites were defeated by Netherlands and Germany respectively in the quarter finals.

Right now, I'm waiting to watch the first semi final match between Uruguay, (for whom this is the first time into semi finals since The 1970 World cup) and Netherlands. The match starts at 11:30 pm (Indian time) and I've even decided to bunk college tomorrow on account of pre-final-excitement symptoms, for Germany and Spain are all set to take on each other in the other semi-final round at 20:30 hrs tomorrow.

And finally, Thanks Africa, for hosting such an awesome game... and I kind of like those vuvuzelas :)

Cheers,
Yesh

No comments:

Post a Comment